Min CPU requirements for PT4?

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Min CPU requirements for PT4?

Postby pt4pt4pt4 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am

And would you be able to give us typical CPU configuration on what the PT4 devs use?
pt4pt4pt4

Re: Min CPU requirements for PT4?

Postby kraada » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:42 pm

The official recommendations will be coming - if I were going to put together a machine for PT4 use, I'd put an SSD (or two) in it - depending on your database requirements they may need to be a bit large. Get a good 64-bit machine. Get as much RAM as it can handle. You'll end up with a good machine that way besides :)

Of course, that's the top end. As a minimum, I wouldn't go below 2G and make sure you have a 7200RPM hard drive at least (5400RPM hard drives will have serious trouble as your database grows beyond just a few hands). Better CPUs are better, but RAM and hard drive speed are the places to start.
kraada

Postby pt4pt4pt4 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Can you give us a timeframe for those looking to buy a new rig or upgrading?

Installing SSD and upgrading laptop to 8GB, CLEARLY the CPU is the bottleneck with Postgres SQL.
pt4pt4pt4

Postby tarix » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:45 am

On my i7 950 with 6Gb/s SSD and 12GB of memory most of the bottlenecks are still from the drive access. (In particular there is still a massive difference if I pull one report and then refresh it.) Imports are a bit more complicated because in order to make them write speed bound you have to import ordered large batches. I've been thinking that one way to increase RAW import speed would be to use a nice FAT32 RAM drive to put them on temporarily, but that is just a guess.

Is there anything specific you are trying to speed up? In general the hud will be fast just because cache queries are so fast and easily cacheable by Windows.
tarix
Developer

Postby ElHive » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:35 am

tarix wrote:On my i7 950 with 6Gb/s SSD and 12GB of memory most of the bottlenecks are still from the drive access. (In particular there is still a massive difference if I pull one report and then refresh it.) Imports are a bit more complicated because in order to make them write speed bound you have to import ordered large batches. I've been thinking that one way to increase RAW import speed would be to use a nice FAT32 RAM drive to put them on temporarily, but that is just a guess.

Is there anything specific you are trying to speed up? In general the hud will be fast just because cache queries are so fast and easily cacheable by Windows.

Maybe there is something wrong with my machine or it is because i still have trial but there is no difference for me if i pull a report or just refresh it.

Maybe you can shed some light on my problem: https://www.pokertracker.com/forums/vie ... 58&t=42560
ElHive

Postby pt4pt4pt4 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:02 am

tarix wrote:On my i7 950 with 6Gb/s SSD and 12GB of memory most of the bottlenecks are still from the drive access. (In particular there is still a massive difference if I pull one report and then refresh it.) Imports are a bit more complicated because in order to make them write speed bound you have to import ordered large batches. I've been thinking that one way to increase RAW import speed would be to use a nice FAT32 RAM drive to put them on temporarily, but that is just a guess.

I have a couple of system widgets that i have running just to give me an idea of what happens when I run into performance problems.

Prior to my 4 to 8 GB mem upgrade and SSD, my 4GB sytem ram was only utilized to 2GB max. Reports depended on type, and imports could cause your poker client disabled. The CPU dual core displayed at %100 for both.

After Upgrade: same but noticed a few things (my laptop is still using SATII so not getting 6GB/s. I only spent $100 on a 128GB SSD to check performance / estimate the cost in a future upgrade).

So memory still only is used at max 2GB even tho I have 8GB.
Reports (example color all 85K players) takes the same time with no activity in accessing the SSD (LED). after initial load.
CPU dual core displayed at %100 for both
Import still taking all CPU resources and can cause the poker client to hang.

So doing a comparison of before and after, same problems but only the CPU remains the same.

Question: Can you limit the CPU resources of a import GET HANDS WHILE PLAYING, compared to full usage for GET HANDS FROM DISK / FILE ?

With SSD dropping rapidly in price, this looks like a good i7 configuration ($919). Upgrade to a 240GB SSD ($200) and use the stock 750GB as a external / backup.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3184132&CatId=4938
pt4pt4pt4

Postby pt4pt4pt4 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:25 am

I updated my blog with a new post:

Upgrading Your Laptop HD to SSD for PokerStars

http://nfl-18-game-schedule.blogspot.ca/

DIY Video, article link, free SSD testing software, system scanner, avoiding technical problems, and a "must have" product image
pt4pt4pt4

Postby tarix » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:04 am

ElHive wrote:Maybe there is something wrong with my machine or it is because i still have trial but there is no difference for me if i pull a report or just refresh it.

How much RAM and how fast is your SSD?

pt4pt4pt4 wrote:Import still taking all CPU resources and can cause the poker client to hang.

I'm quite surprised at this. 20 tables for me barely peaks at 20% usage and that's using the hand grabber which is more CPU intensive that just importing from files. Have you modified your NoteTracker notes? In any case definitely send a log of this because auto import alone shouldn't be that taxing.
tarix
Developer

Postby pt4pt4pt4 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:07 am

Notracker is disabled.

Looks like Quad core is the min CPU rerquirement.
pt4pt4pt4

Postby ElHive » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:48 pm

tarix wrote:
ElHive wrote:Maybe there is something wrong with my machine or it is because i still have trial but there is no difference for me if i pull a report or just refresh it.

How much RAM and how fast is your SSD?

6GB and it's a Sata2 with a Phison S5-Controller which is not the fastest but still way ahead of every harddrive available.

But I think I had a breakthrough last night.

After installing the EnterpriseDB Tuning Wizard - which had no effect - and manually editing the conf-file as described in your tuningguide didn't do the trick as well there was only one thing left to do: Updating the firmware of my SSD which meant that I had to have windows completely reinstalled since during the update process the drive is completely erased. It took me about half a day but it seems its all good now.

Have to buy a bigger SSD by the end of year tho cause 60 Gigs are just too small. Have just a clean Win 7 x64 with all the latest updates, Chrome, Postgres and PT4 installed and its already 50% full. At least I now have a clean backup of the machine which can be restored in less than 30 minutes^^

pt4pt4pt4 wrote:Notracker is disabled.

Looks like Quad core is the min CPU rerquirement.

What dual core do u have exactly? Because there are dual cores and then there are dual cores, if you know what I mean ;)
ElHive

Next

Return to PokerTracker 4