getting database on right hard drive on new computer

Experiencing technical difficulties? Think you've found a problem with PokerTracker 3? Report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

getting database on right hard drive on new computer

Postby themightyjim2k » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:36 am

I recently installed PT3 to a new laptop and then restored my database from my old laptop using the instructions in the forums. No problems there except I have two hard drives on my laptop and I wanted to have the database installed on the second larger SSD instead of the primary SSD that windows is installed on.

When I restored the database I was never given a choice of where to restore the DB even though I'm pretty sure I installed PT3 and postgres on my second SSD.

Is there a way I can choose where to restore/create the DB? The restoration process is pretty fast so I'm fine with just restoring again and then deleting the first attempt at a restore.

thanks for the help

Jim
themightyjim2k

Re: getting database on right hard drive on new computer

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:55 am

Where the database is restored to is up to PostgreSQL - it will restore it to the default PostgreSQL data folder. That should be the drive you installed to by default although it is possible to change where the data folder is stored.
Where is your PostgreSQL installation?
(e.g. C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL)

Kraada may have more specific advice for you when he comes on later.
WhiteRider

Postby themightyjim2k » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:09 am

WhiteRider wrote:Where the database is restored to is up to PostgreSQL - it will restore it to the default PostgreSQL data folder. That should be the drive you installed to by default although it is possible to change where the data folder is stored.
Where is your PostgreSQL installation?
(e.g. C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL)

Kraada may have more specific advice for you when he comes on later.

I installed PT3 on my second drive (f:\) and PT3 installed PostgreSQL on F:\ as well. It's located in F:\PostgreSQL. But the restored DB is about 31GB and it is clearly on the HD with my Win7 OS which is C:\ as I lost that portion of the available memory on C:\ drive after the restore and I've only used about 7GB of memory on the second SSD F:\.
themightyjim2k

Postby kraada » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:49 am

With a full installation on your other drive the restored database definitely should have ended up there. You might temporarily lose space on your primary drive but that's just for temporary files and should not be permanent.
kraada

Postby themightyjim2k » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:55 am

ok. so I shutdown pt3 and restarted it, and i'm stilling seeing the memory gone from C: and not F:\. Then I restarted the laptop and it's still showing the memory from C: not F: is being used.

I double checked and PostgreSQL is definitely installed on F: and not C:

any suggestions?

also thanks very much for checking the thread out and helping.
themightyjim2k

Postby kraada » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:28 pm

What version of PostgreSQL is this? Can you tell what folder the data appears to be going in?
kraada

Postby themightyjim2k » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:51 pm

kraada wrote:What version of PostgreSQL is this? Can you tell what folder the data appears to be going in?

it's 8.3 the version that is installed with the latest pt3 beta.

I only know that if I follow the path in explorer it goes postgresql>8.3>(bunch of stuff including)data...bin...doc...etc.

The processed files are going onto the second SSD (f:\). Everything is working fine but it's clear that the restore used the data on my primary ssd c: and not my second f:
themightyjim2k

Postby kraada » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:35 pm

In explorer PostgreSQL is on your C drive or F drive? The processed files folder doesn't make a lick of difference to where your actual database is - it's just where PostgreSQL is installed.
kraada

Postby themightyjim2k » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:51 pm

kraada wrote:In explorer PostgreSQL is on your C drive or F drive? The processed files folder doesn't make a lick of difference to where your actual database is - it's just where PostgreSQL is installed.

It's on my F drive, I don't know how I failed to type the one bit of valuable information in the previous post. Sorry. It was installed with PT3 on my F drive. Right now they are the only two things on that drive. But when I restored the DB the data clearly came from my C drive.
themightyjim2k

Postby kraada » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm afraid I don't know what to tell you - with PostgreSQL installed on a secondary disk like that, it's exactly where the database should be going. I can't imagine a reason why the data would be anywhere else if you hadn't done considerable customization on your own.
kraada

Next

Return to Technical Support / Bug Reports [Read Only]