PostgreSQL, PT4, Mac OS Ventura, can't install server

A special forum dedicated to our PT4 for Mac OS X users

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

PostgreSQL, PT4, Mac OS Ventura, can't install server

Postby Shanzified » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:34 pm

I've been running PT4 no problem for a few years. All working fine until my iMac died. We have another iMac and PT4 was installed on it as well, but had not been used for awhile (over a year). Obviously it prompted for an update when starting, which I did. When starting after that though, it couldn't connect to PostgreSQL. Everything looked the same, there was a user on the accounts list, on the window where you can elect to 'start service' I did that but it didn't change anything. Couldn't create a new database because it didn't seem to be running. I deleted everything (PT4, PostgreSQL) restarted the iMac. When reinstalling PT4 it seemed like a fresh install, but didn't prompt to install PostgreSQL. Tried installing 9.6, but failed at the end and didn't create the user. I'm pretty decent at troubleshooting but now I'm stuck. Any help appreciated.
Shanzified

Re: PostgreSQL, PT4, Mac OS Ventura, can't install server

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:53 am

Make sure you have uninstalled any elements of previous PostgreSQL installs by following this tutorial and then manually download and install PostgreSQL v12 from here. Using a Mac administrator account or administrative privileges install that PostgreSQL and for the password boxes use "dbpass" (no quotes) which is what PokerTracker 4 uses by default. If that PostgreSQL installs successfully then try starting PokerTracker 4 again.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Shanzified » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:35 pm

Thank you! I installed it, since you didn't mention it I assume it's ok to not do anything with Stack Builder? I closed it and tried PokerTracker, got the error connecting to default database. This time though it looks like it running, as there's a button to 'stop service'. port is 5432, user and pw are correct.
Shanzified

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:03 pm

Shanzified wrote:I installed it, since you didn't mention it I assume it's ok to not do anything with Stack Builder?

That's fine.
Shanzified wrote:I closed it and tried PokerTracker, got the error connecting to default database. This time though it looks like it running, as there's a button to 'stop service'. port is 5432, user and pw are correct.

If the database PokerTracker 4 is trying to connect to doesn't exist or isn't in that PostgreSQL then it will not be able to connect. Have you tried creating a new database? That should allow PokerTracker 4 to start if PostgreSQL v12 is installed and running.
Flag_Hippo

Postby komahony » Thu May 18, 2023 11:25 am

Flag_Hippo wrote:Make sure you have uninstalled any elements of previous PostgreSQL installs by following this tutorial and then manually download and install PostgreSQL v12 from here. Using a Mac administrator account or administrative privileges install that PostgreSQL and for the password boxes use "dbpass" (no quotes) which is what PokerTracker 4 uses by default. If that PostgreSQL installs successfully then try starting PokerTracker 4 again.

I found this thread and followed the approach above as I was having similar problems. I've just bought a Mac mini 2 - and tried installing PokerTracker. I've installed PostgreSQL v12 as suggested, and I've restarted the Mac. However - when PT4 tries to connect to the PostgreSQL Server, I get the error message "Unable to connect to the database. Please check the configuration." Any assistance / advice would be appreciated.
komahony

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu May 18, 2023 12:22 pm

komahony wrote:when PT4 tries to connect to the PostgreSQL Server, I get the error message "Unable to connect to the database. Please check the configuration."

Please press/hold the "Alt/Option" key while starting PokerTracker 4 to enable logging, reproduce this issue and then attach the following file to a Support Ticket where a technician can follow up on this with you:

\Users\{Mac Login}\Library\Application Support\PokerTracker 4\Logs\PokerTracker4.log
Flag_Hippo

Postby komahony » Thu May 18, 2023 12:51 pm

Did this - and Pokertracker noted that I was logging my actions. However - when I go to "\Users\{Mac Login}\Library\Application Support\" I have 12 sub-folders, but none for PokerTracker4 (so I can't find the log). On a related note - I did log on to the support page on PT4, and I can see an old ticket of mine, but I can't seem to be able to raise a new ticket (even though it says my account is fully active and operational).

Is there a way to contact the Support Desk directly? Have been using PokerTracker successfully since 2011 - so this lack of access is a new challenge for me.
komahony

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri May 19, 2023 4:42 am

I see you have since opened a ticket. A technician will follow up with you there.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PT4 for macOS