too large database to backup

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

too large database to backup

Postby cristi_rally » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:02 am

Hi,

My database size is 117GB. I am trying to figure out the best way to transfer to a new PC.

So here are my questions:

1. How long would backup take for such a large database? I guess it's out of the question
2. Is there a way to export only the 100k hands I played in and all hud/config/reports etc? (so basically leaving out the millions of hand histories I bought, which I can import later on the new pc)

Thanks!
cristi_rally

Re: too large database to backup

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:41 am

1. That depends on several factors e.g. SSD vs HDD however it can be done although you will need a similar amount of free space available for the backup to complete successfully.

2. Yes you can do that. You can export your own hands via "File -> Export" and it will only export specific sessions/tournaments for the active player so will not include observed hands.

Guide: Exporting Hands

You can use the backup functionality in PokerTracker 4 to backup your current settings:

Guide: Backup & Restore

If you choose not to backup your database you can uncheck that and backup only your settings. Also if you do not backup the database then your player/hand notes, hand tags and NoteTracker notes will not be transferred. You can export player/hand notes using "Database -> Notes" however NoteTracker notes will need to be reprocessed if you create a new database. Hand tags can only be transferred via a database backup (unless you manually export those hands and retag them when you import them to a new database and before you import the rest of your hands).
Flag_Hippo

Postby cristi_rally » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:14 am

I might be doing something wrong but when I try to export the 103k hands shown in Database => Export hands => "Sessions", it says 190+ hours remaining.

I also tried to export from the "Advanced" tab, also with my alias as active player, and I stopped it after about 15-20 minutes and already 1 million hands were exported (so including hands that I didn't play).

I should specify I'm working on a laptop with i7 3630QM 2.4Ghz, Samsung SSD, 12GB RAM.
cristi_rally

Postby cristi_rally » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Ok. I am trying to make the backup, but it seems I need to have at least the same amount of space on SSD. What is the solution if no such space is possible? Can I backup (with the TMP backup needed) on the other HDD?
cristi_rally

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:09 pm

The temporary files used during a backup are written to the %TEMP% location on your computer. By default this location is:

C:\Users\SOME_NAME\AppData\Local\Temp

If you cannot make enough free space on your SSD you can change the location of %TEMP% to your HDD - refer to this guide for details:

Temporary Files Folder - Change Location in Windows
Flag_Hippo

Postby cristi_rally » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Great. Thanks a lot. I'm creating the backup. Will let everybody know how long a 117GB database takes to backup and restore later on a fresh PC.
cristi_rally

Postby cristi_rally » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:40 pm

So, on a laptop with i7-3630QM - 2.4Ghz, 12 GB RAM, database on the SSD but TMP file needed for backup on the 7200RPM hdd, Windows 10 x64, it took about 2.5 hours to create a backup for a 117 GB database.

On my PC, i7 6th gen 4Ghz, 16 GB RAM, SSD, Win 10 pro x64, it took about 6 hours to restore.

Since we are here, can anyone please tell me if its possible to see how many hands there are in your database? I mean all hands, not just played by a certain player.
cristi_rally

Postby morny » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:42 pm

You can do it via PGAdmin III SQL console

You have to break it down by cash and tournament

For cash games: select max(id_hand) from cash_hand_summary;
For tournies: select max(id_hand) from tourney_hand_summary;
morny

Postby BillGatesIII » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:13 am

With all respect, max(id_hand) might not always give you the number of hands in your database, count(*) will.
BillGatesIII

Return to PokerTracker 4