Reimporting hands for new version

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Reimporting hands for new version

Postby COKE_MAN » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:02 pm

How critical is this?
From what I read in the previous release notes up to this point it was primarily beneficial for tournament players. I play mostly cash. Do I really need to reimport?
Will the performance issues mentioned in the latest release notes apply on imports going forward or is this some kind of data type conversion that has to apply to the entire table(s)?
If I do reimport, I assume that I will lose any of my edits to tournament results I have. Any way to avoid that?
COKE_MAN

Re: Reimporting hands for new version

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:36 am

The change to effective stack database fields applies to cash too, and affects any stats or filters related to effective stacks. These database fields will not be correct until you reimport so you'll need to do it at some point, but there is no huge rush.
To keep any manually entered tournament results you can do an export (Database > Export) of all of your tournaments, then after you reimport (from the original HH files ideally) you can reimport the exported tournament summary files and your entered results will be reimported.
WhiteRider

Postby ManhattanCat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:47 am

the reimport will be tremendously slow as the earlier beta versions?
ManhattanCat

Postby polk3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:04 am

I just did a reimport for a ~850k hand database on a decent setup and it took around 8.5 hours. That may be 10-20% faster than when I did the first import on a spring beta version.
polk3

Postby tarix » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:27 am

Batching the hands into very large batches increases the speed a lot. If you are going to reimport all of your hands you should consider first exporting them from PT4 in 10,000 hand per file chunks. We've seen 3-4x speed improvement just by doing that.
tarix
Developer

Postby COKE_MAN » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Tarix, the release notes say to reimport from the original files. Are you saying that it is acceptable to export and reimport in PT4?

WR, the types of things I have edited in my tourn results are buy-ins and prize money. Are these the types of things that will be preserved using your suggestion?
COKE_MAN

Postby kraada » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Exports and reimports should work just fine as far as I know but importing from original HHs is safer. You'll want to export to get your manually entered results data regardless, and that's what WhiteRider meant.
kraada

Postby ElBandito » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:59 pm

If I want reimport hands to new database. Which "hands per file" will be the best (to get best import speed after it)?
ElBandito

Postby WhiteRider » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:14 am

I'd go for 1000.
WhiteRider

Return to PokerTracker 4