Running new NoteTracker rules

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Running new NoteTracker rules

Postby jiazu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:47 am

I'm trying to set up some custom rules for NoteTracker.

So I created this rule that lists the hands a player 4bets co vs btn. I want to run that rule over my entire database, which has a little over 1M hands in it. How do I do this?

Whenever I try to display all hands in the Test tab of NoteTracker, PT4 crashes.

On the Status tab, it says it's processing notes automatically, but my newly created rules aren't processed yet, so I wonder whether I have to do that manually.

I can run it for the last 1K hands without any problems:

jiazu

Re: Running new NoteTracker rules

Postby jiazu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:05 am

I purged all autonotes and hit Run on the Status tab, waited until everything was finished, went to My Reports, switched to the Opponent Summary Report (Player), sorted on hands and checked out about 20 players I have about 5k hands on, yet no autonotes.
jiazu

Postby kraada » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:20 am

You're underestimating how rare it is to specifically see a co/btn 4bet and then have the hand get to showdown.

Say someone would 4bet 5% of their hands, and you're playing 6max. They're in the CO/BTN 1/3 of the time, and of those they would 4bet 5%. So you're already down from 1000 hands to 16.66 hands they would be willing to 4bet. Then how many of those times are they getting 3bet? If when they open they're getting 3bet 10% of the time, you're down to 1.66 actual 4bet hands. Sometimes their 4bet takes down the hand - if it's half the time, now you're at .83 hands per 1000.

It looks like it is taking notes from the test window on the 1000 hand sample. The easiest way to make sure it's working as you want would probably be to check the "take notes on hero" box on Test, then mark some hands you 4bet from the co and btn with a specific tag (which isn't that hard - just filter and tag a chunk of the hands that match it). Use the show hands with a certain tag only in the top of the Test page and then you'll be able to quickly test that it at least works for you.

For opponents this kind of note will take a while - that's ok because the data you do get may be very useful - I'm just not surprised to see people with 5000 hands and no data points (if we'd changed their 4bet range to 2% with the above assumptions we'd average a hand every 3000, and cut the times they're 3bet down a little and it's not hard to average less than a data point every 5000 hands).
kraada

Postby jiazu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:32 am

kraada,

Awesome, thanks for your detailed reply.

I created more preflop notes, which are being applied correctly now, for instance:

Are the notes being added in the sequence that they're found throughout the database? So in this case, [P] Call [sb/btn] - {ATo} (1) was the last note that was added? I imagine there is no way to sort these in a different way, is there?

So currently, it's:

[P] Call [sb/btn] - {ATo} (1)
[P] 4Bet [btn/bl] - {AJo} (1)
[P] Call [bb/co] - {KQo} (1)
[P] 3Bet [bb/btn] - {AA} (1)
[P] Call [sb/co] - {KQs} (1)
[P] Squeeze - {TT, K6s, AKo} (3)

Different order:

[P] Call [sb/co] - {KQs} (1)
[P] Call [sb/btn] - {ATo} (1)
[P] Call [bb/co] - {KQo} (1)
[P] 3Bet [bb/btn] - {AA} (1)
[P] Squeeze - {TT, K6s, AKo} (3)
[P] 4Bet [btn/bl] - {AJo} (1)

If notes are being added for the reasons of being able to delineate newer from older actions, new notes are still being appended to previous instances of actions. So if villain squeezes again, that's being added to the bottom note, while it's actually the most recent action. So it would make sense to either introduce custom sorting or alphabetical (as in the NoteTracker editor):

jiazu

Postby kraada » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:21 am

They're currently sorted in the order they're added to the database, but I know that other sorting options are definitely things we're looking to add eventually.

Other than generally alphabetical, is there anything specific you'd like to see?
kraada

Postby jiazu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Since the conditional rules can become very complex, manual sorting makes most sense to me. Also, with possibly tens of rules, it makes sense to group AutoNotes per street as is now the case, and with the added option to create manual subgroups.

Possibility 1: Tabs

Possibility 2: Groups

Changes in NoteTracker interface:

The maingroups would have first order numbers. So the first Preflop stat would be 0,0,0,1. The second Preflop stat would be 0,0,0,2 or 0,1 or 0,0,3, etc, depending on whether it's part of a subgroup or not. Postflop would be 1,x,y,z.

Like the tags which can be customized, the same thing can be implemented for these groups. Standard groups can be Preflop, Postflop, etc.
jiazu

Postby PeteX » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:32 pm

+1 for the manual sorting option from me. I'd say alphabetical if not otherwise defined, but totally manually overridable just by defining the order.

The tab organization would be very useful also.
PeteX

Postby kraada » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Tabbing or other organization is definitely something I'd like to see happen eventually. Your manual organization idea is very interesting, I'll be sure to talk it over with the developer who works on NoteTracker.
kraada

Postby tarix » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:27 am

Alphabetical sorting is already in for launch. We have a plan for a much cleaner method of allowing manual positioning but due to the changes required it is on the longer term list.

We already allow you to filter the auto notes by all of the groups which is a much superior method to tabs. Early in the design we tried and rejected the tab idea because its not nearly as useful as the current filters method. We could tab out the hand written notes, but that would mean you could only see either the hand written notes or the auto notes at any given time. Being able to see them both at once still seems better than that.

Definitely keep the feedback coming because often its just small adjustments that can make a big impact.
tarix
Developer

Return to PokerTracker 4