Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Huge database

Postby Sou33 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:50 am

Hello,
my database is massive 55GB
Capture.PNG

1- is this normal ?
2- I have limited place on my 1st local hardware but I have infinte space on my 2nd hardware , I would like to move my database from one disk to another. I have read your tutorials but I don't find this information. How can I do it?

Thank you
Sou33

Re: Huge database

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:47 am

Sou33 wrote:my database is massive 55GB
1- is this normal ?

It's not unusual and and the more hands in a database the larger it will be. The type of hands is also a factor (full ring hands have more players than heads up hands) and if you have a large number of custom statistics that will also increase the database size.
Sou33 wrote:2- I have limited place on my 1st local hardware but I have infinte space on my 2nd hardware , I would like to move my database from one disk to another. I have read your tutorials but I don't find this information. How can I do it?

See this post. Bear in mind that if you are moving the data from a faster disk drive to a slower disk drive then there will be a performance hit. Also instead of using PostgreSQL v10 as recommended there use PostgreSQL v12 for the new install.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Sou33 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:56 am

Flag_Hippo wrote:
Sou33 wrote:my database is massive 55GB
1- is this normal ?

It's not unusual and and the more hands in a database the larger it will be. The type of hands is also a factor (full ring hands have more players than heads up hands) and if you have a large number of custom statistics that will also increase the database size.
Sou33 wrote:2- I have limited place on my 1st local hardware but I have infinte space on my 2nd hardware , I would like to move my database from one disk to another. I have read your tutorials but I don't find this information. How can I do it?

See this post. Bear in mind that if you are moving the data from a faster disk drive to a slower disk drive then there will be a performance hit. Also instead of using PostgreSQL v10 as recommended there use PostgreSQL v12 for the new install.

Thank you for the very complete answer, helped me a lot to understand.

Just noticed that I was using PostgreSQL 9.3 all this years, upgrading to 12.0 might improve the performance I don't know.
My 1st hardware has a sequential write speeds up to 520 MB/s , but the second hardware only 175 MBps . I guess there will be a massive performance drop right?

So is my only option to keep it on my C/ repertory and just purge a lot of hands to make some space?
Sou33

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:21 pm

Sou33 wrote:Just noticed that I was using PostgreSQL 9.3 all this years, upgrading to 12.0 might improve the performance I don't know.

There may be an improvement but it will not be a significant change.
Sou33 wrote:My 1st hardware has a sequential write speeds up to 520 MB/s , but the second hardware only 175 MBps . I guess there will be a massive performance drop right?

On a slower drive some reports will likely take longer to load for example although I can't quantify what the actual performance drop would be in your case.
Sou33 wrote:So is my only option to keep it on my C/ repertory and just purge a lot of hands to make some space?

I would not recommend purging anything especially if you don't have much free space. The purging itself may take some time as your database is large and after purging housekeeping will be required to update the database cache and reclaim the disk space that was used. These database operations require free space to run those functions optimally and you should ideally have at least as much free space on the disk as your database uses. If the housekeeping fails as a result then the database will not be in a good state and it will perform poorly. If you want a database with only recent data for example then it may be easier/faster to create a new database and import your most recent hands there.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Sou33 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:28 am

Alright thanks a lot for your help
Sou33

Postby Sou33 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:42 pm

Hello , coming back here.
I just recently deleted my database (120GB) and created a new one , and following your guide on multiple databases I created a new database (so I have a total of 2 ) .
My intention is to have 1 database for my my played hands on my main hardware and a 2nd databse for my observed hands with a 2nd hardware.

Is it possible? I did not find any way to select a specific hardware for my second datatbase.
When I will "get hands while playing" If I have these 2 databases on 2 different hardwares , will I be able to see the stats of both databases while playing?

Thanks
Sou33

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:16 am

Sou33 wrote:My intention is to have 1 database for my my played hands on my main hardware and a 2nd databse for my observed hands with a 2nd hardware.

Is it possible? I did not find any way to select a specific hardware for my second datatbase.

See the second option mentioned in this post.
Sou33 wrote:When I will "get hands while playing" If I have these 2 databases on 2 different hardwares , will I be able to see the stats of both databases while playing?

You would need to tell PokerTracker 4 what database(s) to read from for HUD stats via 'HUD -> Edit HUD Options -> General Settings -> Advanced' although I can't speak to how this would perform for you.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4