Differences between hand hisory from cash and tourney

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Differences between hand hisory from cash and tourney

Postby waltonjb » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:38 am

I suspect there is a good post or KB article somewhere but haven't found it yet, only been here a week or so. Trying to work my way up from Freerolls at ACR and Ignition.

I have several hundred cash hands and a few thousand tourney hands, am I correct in understanding most of the deep analysis is only on cash hands and the tourney hands are more high level w/l stats?

Also, my tourney stats don't seem to update very well or completely, like the end of the tournament file and my rank/prize only make it through to PT sometimes.

Any good posts on here or KB article on the site or app to get all of this and more explained?
waltonjb

Re: Differences between hand hisory from cash and tourney

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:50 am

Tournament play is very situational - the "correct" play varies based on the stack sizes and progression of the tournament, where cash hand situations tend to be much more similar and this makes the stats more useful for cash, to a degree.
I'm not an expert on this, and you'll find much better discussions about the use of stats in different games in strategy forums (such as 2+2) rather than here. This is mostly a technical forum for PT4-specific issues.)

The summaries written by ACR (WPN) do not contain quite all of the required information to make the results complete every time. However if you have something that is not importing correctly please compress the full original hand history and tournament summary files for the tournament and attach them to a Support Ticket with a note of what is wrong.
Ignition do not write hand histories or summaries and the information that we are able to grab is also a little short in some places.
Results of freerolls can also be a bit tricky, but again if you have an example of something that isn't working correctly please send it to us and if anything can be improved we can definitely take a look at that.
WhiteRider

Postby waltonjb » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:12 am

Ah, yes, well put at the top there, I was having a feeling it may be that pressure from the time constraints and raising blinds/antes would make stats show up with wider ranges than standard. So, keeping them separate makes sense, but I thought it might be interesting to be able to see the difference generally or specifically compared to my cash play.

I'm not certain there is an issue on my tourney stats yet, just seems like they aren't making sense from what (little) I've made off them. The 'freeroll' basis makes much of the w/l moot from dividing by zero and whatnot. Played Ignition for some times and only belatedly realized converters could get some decent HUD tracking (huge mental relief from trying to remember how Player 2134 played the last several hands).

I really like the software, low overhead on the machine, setup was easy and works predictably overall. Tested a few others and they weren't even close.

Only one other thing, sometimes my player name will be duplicated (WPN and Ign name) in the dropdown on stats but then after a refresh or two (or the some other trigger) the names merge and it is back to just my waltonb and Hero. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the quick reply,

Joe
waltonjb

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:03 pm

waltonjb wrote:I really like the software, low overhead on the machine, setup was easy and works predictably overall. Tested a few others and they weren't even close.

Only one other thing, sometimes my player name will be duplicated (WPN and Ign name) in the dropdown on stats but then after a refresh or two (or the some other trigger) the names merge and it is back to just my waltonb and Hero. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your comments - that's great to hear, and I'm glad you're enjoying PT4.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but if you see it again take a screenshot of the full PT4 window and attach it to Support Ticket so that we can take a look and see what is going on.
WhiteRider

Postby waltonjb » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a pic or a screen snip when I see the duplication of both usernames in the filter drop down in the next day or so.

One other question on how PT handles Cash versus Tourney hands, when someone I am playing with in a cash game and then eventually in a tourney game seem my lifetime HUD stats are the stats only displayed for the given type of prior games, or just for each type, or just for cash and there is no lifetime for tourney?

Thank you,

Joe
waltonjb

Postby waltonjb » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:47 pm

Ok, sending two picture of the drop down that had dupe names. I can't do a snip because the snipping window change in focus makes the dropdown list go away.

I'll send it in as a support ticket as you say.
waltonjb

Postby waltonjb » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:29 pm

and I have a tourney that didn't update correctly from ACR, I placed and almost made a quarter but the stats didn't update even after the tourney ended and I tried an auto-detect, etc. I'll send the export in a support ticket
waltonjb

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:44 am

waltonjb wrote:One other question on how PT handles Cash versus Tourney hands, when someone I am playing with in a cash game and then eventually in a tourney game seem my lifetime HUD stats are the stats only displayed for the given type of prior games, or just for each type, or just for cash and there is no lifetime for tourney?

Cash and tournament data are stored separately so you will not see cash game data in a tournament HUD or vice versa.
waltonjb wrote:I can't do a snip because the snipping window change in focus makes the dropdown list go away.

You can use print screen when the dropdown is visible to capture your entire screen, paste that into paint or similar and then snip from there.
waltonjb wrote:and I have a tourney that didn't update correctly from ACR, I placed and almost made a quarter but the stats didn't update even after the tourney ended and I tried an auto-detect, etc. I'll send the export in a support ticket

If you are sending hand histories then don't send anything exported by PokerTracker 4 - we will need the original files provided by the poker site. Bear in mind that the Winning Poker Network (WPN) do not always include detailed tournament summary information in their files but for any tournaments with incorrect data you can update the data manually.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4