Why does Restoring the database claim at least 1.5x its size

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Why does Restoring the database claim at least 1.5x its size

Postby ethanrox » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:30 pm

Hello,

I am running Windows and I have C(system) and D(data) volumes. My postgresql data directory is on D (not C)
The restore process starts to become really almost dangerous for me because PT4 concurrently uses both C and D to do the restore. I didn't mind before my DB became 6GB, but now it claims up to 1.5-2x the database size on C before completely restoring it in the postgresql date directory on D.

Can't the posgresql commands do this in-place so to speak just on the D volume and not touch C or if PT4 needs to touch C, then why 1.5x size? Seems inconceivable to me.
ethanrox

Re: Why does Restoring the database claim at least 1.5x its

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:01 am

PostgreSQL will use your Windows temporary directory when backing up or restoring data:

C:\Users\{Windows Login}\AppData\Local\Temp

If you want to configure Windows to use another drive for temporary files then see this guide.
Flag_Hippo

Postby ethanrox » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:28 pm

Thanks for the hint.
I did something different and used the backup/restore from within pgAdmin3 and nothing was written to the TEMP.
Are there any drawback to this approach? Backup size seems to be the same with default options.
ethanrox

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:00 am

That should be OK but you might want to test restoring a database with pgAdmin to make sure that everything works as expected.
Flag_Hippo

Postby ethanrox » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:10 pm

Flag_Hippo wrote:That should be OK but you might want to test restoring a database with pgAdmin to make sure that everything works as expected.

I did and so far it works. For sure it won't work if a new PT4 update demands a db-upgrade.
ethanrox

Return to PokerTracker 4