Installing Posgres in Disk D or E

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Installing Posgres in Disk D or E

Postby luis111angel » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:55 pm

Hello guys,

I wonder if i can do this, install the Posgres in disk "D" or "E", so that way i don´t use many space on Disk "C" where it is installed the windows and many applications.

Is this a good idea? Can i run PT4 like this? Also for datamining. I´m thinking about getting a new disk SSD M.2 1GB to use it as disk "D"

Looking forward to your answer,

Luis
luis111angel

Re: Installing Posgres in Disk D or E

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:15 am

You can install PostgreSQL to another disk drive but if it is a slower drive then there will be a performance hit especially on larger databases.
Flag_Hippo

Postby luis111angel » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:38 am

Hello again,

I see what you´re saying. What if my "disk C" is a SSD m.2 black edition (up to 5000 MB/s) and "my disk D" is a SSD m.2 blue edition (up to 2100 MB/s).

Would i experiment crashes or a perfomance hit? or everything would still be smoothly?

P.S.: i have a very powerfull computer, in terms of processor and RAM
luis111angel

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:29 am

As both of the drives are SSDs either of them should be sufficient but I am not in a position to quantify any difference in performance between them. While I expect there would be a performance improvement with a faster SSD that's not something I can really quantify for you. There are also other factors involved and unfortunately I don't have access to a suite of different hardware configurations for testing purposes.
Flag_Hippo

Postby YashN » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:38 pm

I've done that myself over the last month or so. On an external drive, I installed PostgreSQL manually, and then followed the instructions, noted down pw and port number and then installed PT4. It is quite seamless, but you need to install a compatible (less than the most recent) PostGreSQL.

It works very well, although this setup isn't the ideal case of a large SSD: the external is an HDD and my internal drive on this computer is an SSD but does not have enough space.

My old DBs amount to something bigger than 12GB, so I can't even do analysis on my playing computer which is a laptop with far less space remaining than that - another small SSD.

So as it is, I will have to regularly move my hands from the laptop into the main DB, but that's OK.

I can look over a long period of time and see how I went from fish to slightly less fishy. :mrgreen:

Now that I'm taking my poker more seriously, I like looking at reports like population tendencies, scatter graphs and so on which I never did before if you can believe it. PT4 is definitely among the best investments I ever made to learn the game.
YashN

Return to PokerTracker 4