Performance Measurement

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Performance Measurement

Postby mickle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what are the main indicators of performance that you use? eg ITM for sngs and MTT, BB per 100 for cash. I'm looking to set up a spreadsheet to keep track of my performance and would like to hear people's views. eg is ITM a good indicator or is it dangerous to use because it encourages passive play.

Thanks
mickle

Re: Performance Measurement

Postby tarix » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:54 am

What performance are you trying to track? Those stacks track your inflow/outflow but not your performance.
tarix
Developer

Postby mickle » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm really after a few measurements which will help me assess whether I'm improving or not. Profit is obvious, but I'm conscious of the fact that one good result could skew things. Maybe something like average finishing position would indicate whether I'm consistently going deep, or whether I'm not concentrating enough/gambling too much and getting knocked out early. I'm struggling a bit here, which is why I was hoping others might share their thoughts.
mickle

Postby tarix » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:59 pm

mickle wrote:I'm really after a few measurements which will help me assess whether I'm improving or not.

I know nothing about tournament play so I'm afraid I'm going to have to ignore that. :oops: A good place for these kind of questions are the 2+2 Publishing forums. They can help you figure out how to measure your progress. (My guess is that full tournaments are near impossible to measure progress. You probably need something that converges faster in the short term like a single table SNG. So keep that in mind.)

Cash is a different beast. I can help you a little there. :)

First of all I suggest you get PT2 running and import all of your cash hands into that. Then looking at a single game/limit type only start analyzing your stats. Can you tell me how many hands you have for a particular game/limit?

I'll reply with some handy 2+2 links about PT stats as well. They are mostly for PT2, but the important stats are the same in PT2/PT3.
tarix
Developer

Postby mickle » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

For cash games, I have 19,421 hands in my PT2 database for no limit, with another 5,588 pot limit hands. Interestingly my bb/100 for pot limit is 5.48, and for no limit it is -1.85, with consistent winning across all levels for pot limit and consistent losses for no limit! What is confusing me is my VPIP, PFR, WSD are very similar for pot and no limit, yet the results are drastically different. I don't understand why I am seeing different results for pot and no limit.

The bulk of the no limit hands (10,284) are at $0.5 game level.
mickle

Postby psl86 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:46 pm

I am a winning cashgameplayer, however, these samplesizes you are talking of are way way too small..

10-20000 hands aint enough too say anything.. I lost 15buyins over a 10 000 hand period.. Still, it is an indication, but -1.85 could easily go above zero or further down if you play something like 100 000 hands more..

When it comes too SnGs and MTTs "ROI" is the measurement.. ROI=Return on investment.. In 9MAX SNGs an ROI above 10 is extremely good, while 5-10 is very good! In MTTs I dont know.. Try searching annette_15 or other great internet proos on officialpokerranking.com and see their ROI..
psl86

Postby ChrisD » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:41 pm

Some would even say that 50,000 hands is a small or medium sample size. Ultimately though, you're going to try to look at things like your VPIP, examine big pots, look at your positional stats, examine your hands for leaks (ATs is one of my worst!), and so on. Try to make your game better on a theoretical level, and hopefully the results will follow.
ChrisD

Postby mickle » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:54 pm

My sng roi is 9.14% after 1127 sngs. I guess I'm not too bad at something ;) I''ll defer to both the views on the sample size on no limit, but I still have the sneaking feeling that my no limit game is simply not good enough, hence the losses at every level I've played. I'll do a search on the other forums but do you have handy the 2+2 links that you mentioned?
Thanks for taking the time out to help me. May my losing days be against you :)
mickle

Postby samag » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:49 pm

mickle wrote:Maybe something like average finishing position would indicate whether I'm consistently going deep

I don't think this means much. It's very easy to fold your way NEAR the money. And it doesn't mean anything.
samag

Postby tarix » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:51 am

mickle wrote:The bulk of the no limit hands (10,284) are at $0.5 game level.

You can calculate your confidence interval with 10,000 hands. It will basically give you a number that attempts to guess your win rate. Of course I can't find a good link that discusses this anymore, but if you PM me an email address I can send you a nice Excel spreadsheet that will give you a nifty graph.

Here are some good 2+2 threads on PT stats. These will help you track down leaks in your game so you can fix them.

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showfla ... er=4946669
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showt ... p?t=165898

I will say on thing though. If you have played 10,000 hands and have never gotten below 20BI then you are not a hopeless player. You are at least somewhere between break-even minus the rake and slightly profitable.
tarix
Developer

Next

Return to General [Read Only]