ever gonna get a new build?

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

ever gonna get a new build?

Postby sprstoner » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:25 pm

maybe one that doesnt randomly crash?

sux seeing no progress... i was defending you guys , because i thought things were gonna improve fast... now i feel like an asshole to all my friends.
sprstoner

Re: ever gonna get a new build?

Postby jmflu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:27 pm

What version are you using?
jmflu

Postby sprstoner » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:51 pm

build 2

i didnt bother with beta 13 or whatever. sounded like there were just as many issues, so i thought i would wait for build 3, which never came.
sprstoner

Postby jmflu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Well you should definitely try beta 13 as (for me) it was a HUGE upgrade.

I was never able to multitable on pokerstars and since beta 13 I can 25 Table with essentially no lag or crashes. I do know that other people have had some problems and I haven't tried other sites but it is definitely worth a try to use beta 13 as it is the closest thing to a build 3 that is out now.
jmflu

Postby tarix » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:05 am

sprstoner wrote:build 2

Beta 12 and Beta 13 ARE the new builds.

They are SPECIFICALLY for people that are having problems with Build 2.

Also if you really want to make sure Build 3 resolves your issues it would be a good idea to test Beta 12 and 13 and file support tickets if you continue to run into problems.
tarix
Developer

Postby oracle3001 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:08 am

One thing I am finding very frustrating is that I am using beta 13, and it is a huge improvement, but as lots of people have stated there is a bug with regarding to party poker. PT3 only displays stats for tables that were open and being played when auto-import is started, rather adding them as and when.

Now all the previous builds and betas (even up to the last version of beta 12, v12.10) didn't have this problem, so it is obviously a small bug that has been introduced at the last minute. Now it has been many days since the release for v13, and still no fix. I understand the arguments for and against fixes etc, but little things like this could and should be patched asap. Major changes in HUD, new functionality etc should be alpha'ed behind the scenes and then released, but very small changes could easily be fixed and released within a day or two.
oracle3001

Postby ChrisD » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:47 pm

I think I agree - Beta builds would be nice to have more incrementally (one every day, assuming the build overhead is not too tedious and time consuming). Release the "stable-ish" builds more like once per week or two.

Beta 13 should be "Build 3", while incremental builds should be released for us nerds who are checking the forums every single day hoping for 1 or 2 small changes or bug fixes.
ChrisD

Postby keggler » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:51 pm

[quote="ChrisD"]I think I agree - Beta builds would be nice to have more incrementally (one every day, assuming the build overhead is not too tedious and time consuming). Release the "stable-ish" builds more like once per week or two.

lol - software development don't work that sir, i should know, i've been in it for long enough - maybe beta once a month and full release once a quarter would be more realistic - or they'll be forever chasing their tails...

susan
keggler

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:12 pm

I think it will fall somewhere between the two!
Beta 13 is not stable enough for everyone to be released as "Build 3" - I suspect there will be another Beta before Build 3.

There certainly won't be beta releases anything like daily, though - it is hard enough to keep track of what versions people are using and which problems are in which versions as it is.

Once the HUD stability issues are resolved, other features should be easier to add - the HUD is a very complicated part of the application as it interreacts with the poker sites' windows, and has to work on lots of different computer setups, processors/graphics cards/OS/etc.

Certainly once the fundamental features are established, poker site updates will be catered for very quickly.
WhiteRider

Postby oracle3001 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:19 pm

keggler wrote:
ChrisD wrote:I think I agree - Beta builds would be nice to have more incrementally (one every day, assuming the build overhead is not too tedious and time consuming). Release the "stable-ish" builds more like once per week or two.

lol - software development don't work that sir, i should know, i've been in it for long enough - maybe beta once a month and full release once a quarter would be more realistic - or they'll be forever chasing their tails...

susan

I could give you an example of completely the opposite. I worked on an extremely complex telecommunications system, and we built every day, with changes and bug fixes. This was available at the end of play each day and a whole bunch of people had access to test throughout the night (their time throughout the day). When we return to the office every morning, we would be greeted with a new list of fixes, bugs, changes etc.

I'm sure that is sort of what you are doing with a select number of alpha tester. However, we got into this state because the alpha and beta community before release wasn't wide enough to detect a whole host of really bad problems. I'm sure the more active and vocal members of the forum, that post every day and have an idea of what software development is about could be given access to daily / weekly builds on the understanding that we reported an bugs etc with a strict form, i.e. always stating build used etc etc. You don't have to post these publically, but give restricted access to people who are having problems and are making a decent job of reporting faults.

I think I have mentioned this before, but a development blog wouldn't go amiss either. Then at least people can see what bugs have been addressed and what new features are likely. The feeling of having a half working product, but in the dark about when a new release (and fingers crossed fixes for problems) will be released is at the heart of so many people complaints. A blog would at the very least reassure people that progress is being made and give a hint at when to expect a new build. It would also be a good first point of call for people having problems, so they can see if the bug they are experiencing is on "to-do list" or the "its been fixed" list and hopefully that would cut down the same problems been repeated time and time again.
oracle3001

Next

Return to General [Read Only]