OnGame HUD

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

OnGame HUD

Postby joker » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:22 am

when will you add HUD support for OnGame skins ? PT3 is useless on OnGame without HUD ...
joker

Re: OnGame HUD

Postby kraada » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:24 pm

Once we've gotten the current known issues completely resolved, then we're going to work on adding more features to PokerTracker 3. Site support and HUD support are among those things we are hoping to get back to adding in the not too distant future.
kraada

Postby Stonish » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:11 pm

Could you be a little more precise? Are we talking days, weeks or months here?
Stonish

Postby downbytheriver » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:46 pm

WOW... i do not like the sounds of that .... once you've gotten the current issues resolved? I have been patiently waiting (AFTER PAYING!!!) almost 2 weeks now for this producted to be semi functional at the only site i play at (ongame).... and now your telling me it could be the not to distant future?

THE OTHER THREAD MADE IT SEEM LIKE YOU GUYS WERE GONNA BE A WEEK TO GET ONGAME DONE , THAT WAS almost 2.5 WEEKS AGO

HIRE SOME MORE GOD DAMN PROGRAMERS ALREADY!!!!!!!
downbytheriver

Postby daiquiri » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:28 pm

yep it would be nice to know what timeframe we are looking at.. if we are talking months then I won't wait to buy PT3 but go for something else..
daiquiri

Postby keggler » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:57 pm

downbytheriver wrote:HIRE SOME MORE GOD DAMN PROGRAMERS ALREADY!!!!!!!

yea right, at 90US a pop for the package, I can see them nipping down the the local recruitment shop and getting 50 programmers in tommorow to fix everything by wednesday for you...

jeez give 'em a break it's a complex app with a sophisticated rdms - it's not easy for a handful of guys to snap their fingers and have it working spot-on for every single room on the planet with all the different games - plus they're providing free TS in here, looking at support tickets & logs and responding to everyone asking, what about this, what about that, when will this happen...

i'm sure in the fullness of time they'll publish a roadmap for the enhancements in the pipeline...

i've purchased PT3 and am very happy with it - sure the hud stalls occasaionally, the hud stats wander a few pixels sometimes, this could be better,that could be better; but i just get on with it; these things i'm confident they'll get around to fixing - the core app is sound, the interfaces to postgres appears robust; it works like a charm across a network; they're using a great open source rdms that keeps the unit cost of the product down - they have a firm foundation core app working with a great rdms, and it get only get better.

susan
keggler

Postby tarix » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:24 pm

keggler wrote:yea right, at 90US a pop for the package, I can see them nipping down the the local recruitment shop and getting 50 programmers in tommorow to fix everything by wednesday for you...

PT2 was a $50 software package written by one guy. It took him about 5 years give or take to get it to the state it is now?

I would hope that part of the price increase of PT3 was to actually put together a team that can get the job done: a complete rewrite of PokerTracker including all of the old features and many new ones. If they stick to this one programmer model it will take at least another 5 years before we seen similar functionality.

Software is still getting more complicated, not less.
tarix
Developer

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:32 am

tarix wrote:PT2 was a $50 software package written by one guy. It took him about 5 years give or take to get it to the state it is now?
If they stick to this one programmer model it will take at least another 5 years before we seen similar functionality.

That's a bit pessimistic - PT2 has been fully functional/stable for a few years now, so while you make a good point that it will take a while to get it fully stable, it won't take 5 years!
WhiteRider

Postby tarix » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:54 am

WhiteRider wrote:That's a bit pessimistic - PT2 has been fully functional/stable for a few years now, so while you make a good point that it will take a while to get it fully stable, it won't take 5 years!

PT2 has been stable for a while. However the version we used 4-5 years ago and the one today are quite different. Some of the best functionality came 2-3 years after its development. So redoing all of that work is a lofty, but quite noble, goal.

Since software is becoming increasingly more complex it generally takes more resources than before to create the "same" product. (If only because standards have gone up... like when you look at the interface of a perfectly functioning program and immediate decide it is old and outdated ...)

My real point isn't about the *real* amount of time so much as the amount of *man hours*. Thus enough resources need to be allocated a reasonable amount of time to get the results the customer base expects.

Everyone is aware that the process has broken down. The commercial release was delayed and when it did come out it wasn't up to the expectations of the customer especially for the price. Even a perfect Build 3 release won't help in the long run if the process continues to be broken.

I really feel for you guys. You have a tough customer base. You aren't just selling to poker players you are selling to guys who dedicate a lot of time to figuring out how to maximize the profit they get from the money to put out. So when they pay $90 for PT3 imagine how much value they expect to get out of it! It's a much, much bigger number than $90 for sure.

Don't forget the larger picture. It's not just about the bugs themselves. I think most people here realize that the bugs will be fixed. I personally think they will be fixed in a reasonable amount of time, at least from a software/programmer perspective.

However you can't keep treating this product like it's a simple shareware application or that it doesn't matter. PT3 is much closer to financial software. It's not a simple game program that people can wait for. It's important that you guys start making correct estimates and sharing your development game-plan with your paying customers. "When it's done" is a cute phrase for the entertainment industry, but it won't fly here.

The best programmers in the world aren't the smartest or the fastest. They are the ones who can estimate a task and get it done on time. Those that can't stick with video games. :)
tarix
Developer

Postby Stonish » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:39 pm

I understand all that and I'm definetly not trying to rush anyone working on PT3. From what I've seen so far I think it's a pretty good product, and I really don't mind a bug here or there.

But... not having the HUD makes PT3 pretty much useless for me to use, as I play @ ongame, and apart from game analyses, the HUD is obv quite important to the product. Which is why I'm curious when exactly I can expect it. That not so much to ask for right? Whether that be in one week, three weeks or six, I don't care, but I'd like to have a somewhat precise estimate to when I'll be able to use it. 'not to distance future' could be a lot :)
Stonish

Next

Return to General [Read Only]