Synchronize Poker Tracker on 2 PCs:

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Synchronize Poker Tracker on 2 PCs:

Postby kingkong32 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:47 am

I use Pokertracker on 2 PCs and want to synchronize them (Hand Histories and Notes)
Until now I haven’t made notes. So I only exported and imported the hand histories. Are the notes included then and is there a better way to synchronize?
kingkong32

Re: Synchronize Poker Tracker on 2 PCs:

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:15 am

Notes are stored in the database, not in the hand histories. If your computers are networked you could share a database - for instance if you have a laptop and a desktop, and you always have your laptop with you when you play on your desktop you could have the database only on the laptop and link to it from the desktop - that way you always have the DB with you. There are directions for setting that up in the Database / PostgreSQL FAQ.
That probably isn't practical, though, and the other way to sync notes between databases is by making a backup of the "aggregated notes" - see the Tutorial: Backup and Restore for how to do that.
WhiteRider

Postby BoiledFrog » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:31 am

I have been using PT3 on my iMac and I want to install it on my laptop as well. It seems like a good solution to run the database on the laptop and connect to it from the desktop. What's the best way to move the database from the desktop to the laptop? Backup and restore?
BoiledFrog

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:11 am

Yes, Backup and Restore is the best way to move your database.

Check out this tutorial if you need help setting up PostgreSQL on your network.
WhiteRider

Postby BoiledFrog » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:27 pm

I just installed PT3 on it and it's asking me whether PT3 should download and install Postgres. I have MacPorts installed on the laptop. Are there any known issues with using MacPorts instead of the PT3 install (or vice versa). I assume it would be easier to upgrade if I use MacPorts. Currently, I have to manually start Postgres on my iMac. This is a nuisance that I would like to avoid on my laptop, if possible. Does either install method better support the automatic startup of Postgres?
BoiledFrog

Postby BoiledFrog » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:31 pm

Also, is there a particular version of Postgres I should use (or not use) for MacPorts? Can I just use the latest one? If I use PT3 to install I assume you will install one that works with your software.
BoiledFrog

Postby tarix » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:11 am

You can use either 8.3, 8.4, or 9.0. We still experience issues with 9.1 and 9.2 thus those are not recommended.

We currently install 9.0 for PT3 Mac in case that influences your decision.
tarix
Developer

Postby BoiledFrog » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:42 pm

I got the following error when I started install on my laptop.

PostgreSQL version 9.0.10 on
x86_64-apple-darwin11.3.0 is installed. It is recommended to upgrade to at least version 8.3 for Backup/Restore.

PokerTracker should be smart enough to know that 9.0.10 is later than 8.3.

It should look for 9.0 versions of the executables. On my system they are installed in /opt/local/lib/postgresql90/bin.
I created links to the necessary executables (createdb and psql) to my 9.0 versions. This allowed the blank database to be created.

I get the following error when I try and connect my desktop PT to my laptop DB.
Unable to connect to PostgreSQL database: PT3 DB
Reason: Unable to login to database (PT3 DB)
Reason: could not connect to server: Connection refused
Is the server running on host "laptop" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432

What next?
BoiledFrog

Postby kraada » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:24 pm

You need to use the IP address of your laptop. You can find your IP address in the Network area of the Systems Configuration panel.
kraada

Postby BoiledFrog » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I tried using the IP address and I get a similar error. It's replaced "laptop" with "192.168.1.105". I can use PT3 on my laptop locally so I think the socket is only visible locally.
BoiledFrog

Next

Return to General [Read Only]